Passerby saves Southampton home from fire
by Sandy Lindsay
September 30, 2016
To Comment on this article Click Here
Firefighters went into the smoke filled building in shifts
Fire Chief Phil Eagleson and firefighter sift through fire damaged bed and mattress
When Julie Nemish of Southampton had a day off from her job as a supply teacher on Friday, September 30th, little did she know that she would end up saving a home.
"I had decided to take my pug, Lyla, for a walk down Lambert Lane toward the lake when I heard a smoke detector in one of the houses. I walked around the house where I thought it was coming from and noticed smoke coming from an upstairs window," said Nemish.
She then ran up the front stairs and banged on the door but no one answered. "I couldn't see in and I didn't have my cell phone with me which in itself is odd because I never leave home without it. So I ran across the street and knocked on a neighbour's door and told them to call 911. By then, there was heavy smoke and then flames began."
Julie Nemish and 'Lyla'
In a matter of minutes, fire crews arrived and, determining that no one was home, broke through the front door.
The fire itself was confined to a front room but caused considerable smoke damage throughout.
Burnt cedar walls were quickly demolished and thrown clear of the building
Hydro workers arrived to cut off power to the house
The owners of the summer home, who live in the Hamilton area, were contacted by Saugeen Shores Police.
"No cause of the fire has yet been determined but no foul play is suspected," said Fire Chief Phil Eagleson, "and there was no one in the building at the time."
neighbours who watched firefighters in action said that they could
not believe they were all volunteers. Visitors from Sudbury
said that they were "totally impressed with the quality and number
who responded and in such a short time!"
Click on the ads for more information
books, sports, movies ...
Saturday, October 01, 2016