Investigation continues into
fatal house fire in Kincardine

By Liz Dadson


To Comment on this article Click Here

Flames shoot into the dark sky at a house fire on Fraser Drive, Kincardine, early Wednesday morning
photo by Eric Fohkens

Thursday afternoon, Kincardine firefighters, South Bruce OPP and other officials sift through what's left of a home on Fraser Drive, Kincardine; the homeowner died as a result of the blaze early Wednesday morning

Heavy equipment is used to take down the remains of a fatal house fire on Fraser Drive, Kincardine, Thursday afternoon

The investigation continues into a fatal house fire that occurred early Wednesday morning (Feb. 8) on Fraser Drive, Kincardine.

Thursday afternoon, heavy equipment was brought in to take down the remains of the house, while officials from the Kincardine Fire Department, Ontario Fire Marshall's Office, and the South Bruce OPP, sifted through the rubble.

The homeowner, 72-year-old Ila Wellman, was rescued from the fire but died later in hospital.

Kincardine fire chief Jamie MacKinnon said the call came in just before midnight Tuesday (Feb. 7). 

Twenty-five firefighters responded from two stations, with two pumpers, the aerial ladder truck, and two rescue vans.

When they arrived, the home was totally engulfed in flames which were venting through the roof and visible from a long distance, said MacKinnon.Fire crews concentrated on battling the blaze and protecting a neighbouring house from heat and flames.

A family member on the scene indicated the homeowner  was possibly still inside so firefighters used grounds ladders and entered the house through a second-storey window to perform a primary search, MacKinnon said. 

Wellman was quickly discovered and rescued by the two interior firefighters assisted by firefighters outside the building on the ladders. She received medical aid and was taken to the Kincardine hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The house is dismantled Thursday afternoon

A house on Fraser Drive, Kincardine, is engulfed in flames early Wednesday morning
photo by Eric Fohkens

Damage is estimated to be in excess of $200,000. No cause has yet been determined.

There were no injuries to the firefighters.

Scrolling stops when you move your mouse inside the scroll area.  You can click on the ads for more

Survey Participate in our latest Kincardine Times survey Read More Survey Participate in our latest Saugeen Times survey Read More Survey Participate in our latest Walkerton News survey Read More




for world news, books, sports, movies ...

Thursday, February 09, 2012