Hello all residents of Saugeen Shores and beyond!
Sunday, August 19th is Gran Fondo Lake Huron Day!
We sincerely apologize for any interruption this may cause to your normal routine and really appreciate your support. We are working hard to raise funds to purchase medical equipment that keeps Health Care Close to Home! Everyone eventually uses our local hospital … help support local health care.
The Gran Fondo Lake Huron, a charity ride in support of the Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation, is just around the corner. Please note the following IMPORTANT DETAILS!
- Other than noted below, all roads along the route will be open. *Note residents will still have access to personal homes and businesses during the road closures, but if you need to use your vehicle, please use caution, patience and courtesy when doing so.
- Cyclists will be instructed to obey road signs and signals.
- Please be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS on all roads when driving as there will be hundreds of
cyclists participating in the event – particularly along Huron Street South and along the Shore Road between Southampton and Port Elgin. Remember to LOOK before backing out of your driveway. Help keep EVERYONE safe. Thank you!
Community Engagement! Make it a fun day for you and your family!
- Help us roll out the welcome mat! Come out and cheer on the cyclists as they fly past your residence!
- Or – decorate with a blue bike or any bike (maybe attach blue ribbons!) on your lawn.
APPROVED ROAD CLOSURES
From 4:00 am to 6:00 pm
High Street from Albert Street (Hwy. 21) to Victoria Street
High Street from the Flag to Huron Street
Access to the Coliseum
From 4:00 am to 11:00 am
High Street from Huron Street to Grosvenor Street
Huron Street from Lansdowne Street to Palmerston Street
The 4 rides will start at High Street & Huron Street, Southampton as noted below.
7:00 am – 160 k – Cyclists head east to the lights then turn North on Hwy 21towards CR 13
7:15 am – 110 k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
8:00 am – 70k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
9:00 am – 30k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
High Street in front of Martin’s Bicycle Shop, 235 High Street, Southampton, ON
Last cyclist expected approximately 2:30 pm