Saugeen Mobility relied on despite COVID-19

As with almost every sector of business and non-profits, Saugeen Mobility service has experienced a year to date like no other due to COVID-19.

May and April ridership was down by 90 per cent and, despite a slight recovery, the number is still down by 75 per cent with overall ridership to date down by 51.88 per cent at 7,786 rides in 2020 compared to 16,179 in 2019.

Individual ridership is down 46 per cent to 7,043 rides compared to 13,044 at the same time last year with user fee revenue down to $98,769 compared to $185,386 in 2019.

Excursion rates have seen an even bigger decline down to 743 from 3,135 in the first half of 2019 with group user fees down more than 77 per cent to $3,870 compared to $16,975 in the same time last year.

Saugeen Mobility also relies on the Gas Tax rebate from the province and, unfortunately, the province only paid out 75 per cent ($710,540) in May 2020 with no notice as to when the remaining 25 per cent will be paid. The funding is down from $718,815 received in 2019.

Despite the numbers of decline, according to Roger Cook, Saugeen Mobility Manager, “Clients who venture out continue to enjoy a safe and dependable service.  All drivers and clients are required to wear masks and sanitize hands before boarding, vehicles are all sanitized thoroughly and clear barriers are in the process of being installed.  It has been a steep learning curve for everyone but we continue with hope.”

To read the complete Saugeen Mobility report , CLICK HERE