A quick response by Saugeen Shores Fire Service

At approximately 2:45 today (June 8th), Saugeen Fire Service and Police Service arrived at Union Lane in Southampton following a report that smoke had been seen coming from an upstairs apartment in the building that houses the Atlantic Nail Salon.

It was determined that a pot had been left on a stove unattended and, other than smoke, there was no further damage and everyone in the building had been evacuated as a precaution.

“It could have been much worse,” said Southampton Fire Station #50 Chief, Brian Johnston. “All these buildings are either attached or very close together as they are the backs of the storefronts that line High Street.  Our firefighters responded quickly to ensure that there was no real fire damage to contend with.”