In a hair salon/barber shop, staff and clients are in close contact when colouring, cutting, or styling hair. The virus can spread from respiratory droplets and shared surfaces of a person with COVID-19. This is a summary checklist of measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 while providing services, including those from homebased businesses. Please review the Grey Bruce Health Unit COVID-19 Guidelines for Personal Service Settings for more information on how to keep your employees and clients safe. Please note that the requirements under the Ontario Personal Service Settings Regulation 136/18 still apply.
A. Staff Health & Screening
- Staff are advised to report illness to their supervisor/manager and to stay home if sick.
- Staff are screened for COVID-19 symptoms before starting each shift.
- Staff are advised to go home right away and self-isolate if they become ill during a shift.
- Staff are advised to call telehealth/health care provider for guidance to get tested.
- Staff providing services use a masks/face coverings for the duration of their shift. Masks should be used properly and cleaned or discarded appropriately.
- Masks should be changed when they become damp or soiled.
- Personal protective equipment such as gloves, masks, and eye protection (face shield/goggles) are available on-site for staff at all times, to use as needed.
- Staff are trained on the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Staff should consider wearing surgical/medical mask and eye protection when clients cannot tolerate wearing a mask/face covering. Eye protection is assigned to one staff and are cleaned and disinfected between each use.
- Staff are trained on proper hand hygiene techniques and respiratory etiquette.
B. Signage at the Premises
- Signage for screening is posted at the entrance of the premises.
- Clients with COVID-19 symptoms and/or who have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 are not permitted to enter the premises.
- Signage for hand washing is posted at the entrance and throughout the premises.
- Floor stickers and physical distancing signage are available in high visibility areas to remind clients to keep two metres/six feet apart from others at all times.
To read the complete recommendations, CLICK HERE