Bruce County’s Housing Services division encourages eligible renters to apply for the Canada Housing Benefit’s one-time payment of $500 to help cover the cost of rent. This one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit by the Government of Canada aims to help lower-income renters who are struggling with the cost of rent.
Applications close on Friday, March 31, 2023.
“This is a great one-time support resource for eligible renters in Bruce County. I encourage all that are eligible to explore this opportunity further and apply before the March 31stdeadline”, said Warden Chris Peabody. “Bruce County is committed to enhancing the quality of life for individuals, families, and communities by providing and sharing integrated and comprehensive services that remove barriers and create opportunities.”
To learn more, visit canada.ca/one-time-housing-benefit
Who can apply?
Renters in Bruce County may be eligible for a one-time payment of $500 if:
- you have filed a 2021 tax return
- you are at least 15 years of age on December 1, 2022
- you have an adjusted family net income of $20,000 or less (individuals) or $35,000 or less (families)
- you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes in 2022
- your principal residence is located in Canada
- you paid rent for your own principal residence in Canada in 2022
- you paid at least 30% of your 2021 adjusted family net income on rent in 2022
How to apply
Apply through CRA My Account. To get your payment faster, register for direct deposit in CRA My Account. An online web form is available if you are unable to sign in to or register for a CRA My Account.
NOTE: Applicants who are unable to apply online can call the CRA at 1-800-282-8079.
Impact to other benefits
The one-time top-up to the Canada Housing Benefit does not impact other federal benefits, like the Canada Workers Benefit, the Canada Child Benefit, the Goods and Services Tax Credit, and the Guaranteed Income Supplement. This new federal one-time payment operates separately from the monthly Canada Housing Benefit which is co-funded and delivered by the provinces and territories.
Discover more about Bruce County Housing Services.