Attention Saugeen Shores Residents
Sunday, August 18th is the 2nd Annual Gran Fondo Lake Huron!
The Gran Fondo Lake Huron, a fundraising bicycle ride in support of the Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation, is just around the corner. Last year we raised $134,000 and we look to top that this year!
Please note the following IMPORTANT DETAILS!
- Other than noted below, all roads along the route will be open. *Note residents will still have access to personal homes and businesses during the road closures, but if you need to use your vehicle, please use caution, patience and courtesy when doing so.
- Cyclists will be instructed to obey road signs and signals.
- Please be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS on all roads when driving as there will be hundreds of cyclists participating in the event – particularly along Huron Street South and along the Shore Road between Southampton and Port Elgin. Remember to LOOK before backing out of your driveway. Help keep EVERYONE safe. Thank you!
APPROVED ROAD CLOSURES – Southampton
4:00 am to 6:00 pm High Street from Albert Street (Hwy. 21) to Victoria Street; High Street from the Flag to Huron Stree; Access to the Coliseum
4:00 am to 11:00 am High Street from Huron Street to Grosvenor Street; Huron Street from Lansdowne Street to Palmerston Street
APPROVED ROAD CLOSURES – Port Elgin
Saugeen Rail Trail will be closed from Elgin St. to Concession Rd. 10.
The following streets will be closed to allow for safe usage of the rail trail:
- Elgin St. between Wellington and Arlington (access to Fitness Corner will remain open from Arlington St).
- River St. between Wellington and Arlington
- Woodland St. between Wellington and Arlington
754 Woodland Drive – barricade on the west side of the drive way, access from Arlington
757 Wellington St. Housing Complex – Access to driveway from Wellington St. No River St. access during the duration of this event
728 and 732 Elgin St. – Barricade on the West side of 728 Elgin St driveway to allow access from Arlington
737 Elgin St. (Fitness Corner) – Access to the parking lot from Arlington St. ONLY
724 Elgin St. – No access to driveway during the event. Elgin St. will be closed. Can park on the street east of the Rail Trail and access Arlington from there
The Route: (Attached in this package ) or see it on your computer by clicking here
Start Location: The FOUR rides will start at High Street & Huron Street, Southampton as noted below.
- 7:00 am – 160 k – Cyclists head east to the lights then turn North on Hwy 21towards CR
- 7:15 am – 110 k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
- 8:00 am – 70k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
- 9:00 am – 30k – Cyclists travel south along Huron Street South towards Port Elgin
Finish Location: High Street in front of Martin’s Bicycle Shop, 235 High Street, Southampton – Last cyclist expected approximately 2:30 pm
Community Engagement! Make it a fun day for you and your family!
- Help us roll out the welcome mat! Come out and cheer on the cyclists as they pass your residence!
- decorate with a blue bike or any bike (maybe attach blue ribbons!) on your lawn!
We sincerely apologize for any interruption this may cause to your normal routine and really appreciate your support in support of YOUR hospital.
We are working hard to raise funds to purchase medical equipment that keeps Health Care Close to Home! For information, call 519-797-3230, ext. 323