Huron Shores Hospice is a charitable not-for-profit, volunteer-led, community-funded residential hospice, providing quality end-of-life care, at no cost, to residents of Kincardine, Huron-Kinloss, Saugeen Shores and surrounding areas.
“We are encouraging everyone, big and small, fit and maybe no-so-fit, to register and raise dollars to sustain residential hospice care in our community,” says Cheryl Cottrill, Chair of Huron Shores Hospice.
She adds that, “We couldn’t hike in May due to the COVID-19 outbreak, but we can do a ‘virtual Summer Step Challenge’. Everyone can participate! You can challenge yourself to walk or run 10,000 steps per day or any distance you are able to … every step is a step towards helping our community have more access to high quality hospice care. Use this event to get up and moving after too many days of social isolation.”
Where? In this time of pandemic, ‘where ever’ you like. Hike the trails, your neighbourhood or climb stairs in your home. Where ever you feel safe to get those steps in each day. Please maintain social distancing guidelines during all aspects of your walk or run and know that YOU are making a difference in end-of-life care for those in our community.
When: The challenge runs for 18 days starting July 18 to August 4, 2020.
“Why the number 18?,” says Cottrill. “Huron Shores Hospice one-bed residential hospice operation is community funded and we need your help to sustain this vital service in our community. Again, why the number 18? Huron Shores Hospice has provided quality end-of-life care to 18 residents since opening our doors, however in that same time frame, 18 community members have died waiting for the bed to become available – underscoring the importance of expanding our services.”
How: Thanks to the help of our friends at NPX Innovation, participants can register through https://www.gbhstrong.com/huron-shores-hospice. Registration is free but a suggested donation of $20 upon registration to support the hospice would be greatly appreciated. The registration button will take you to the Canada Helps event page so you ask for on-line support for your step-goal from friends and family, with all proceeds going to the hospice. There will also be a downloadable pledge form available on our Facebook page, website www.huronshoreshospice.ca or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org to print off and start collecting pledges. We will have a drop off location for all pledge sheets and money collected at the end of the event.
• Challenge yourself to walk or run 10,000 steps per day for a total of 180,000 steps in 18 days. OR walk or run any distance you are able, every step is a step towards helping our community have more access to high quality hospice care.
• Raise money for the hospice by donating and asking your friends and family for their support
• Team up with colleagues for our corporate challenge
• Have the chance to win exciting prizes for Most Steps Taken, Highest Individual Fundraiser, Highest Team Fundraiser and your registration automatically enters you for a chance to win a weekly $25 gift card from a local business on the www.gbhstrongstore.com.
• Make sure you take pictures of your walking journey and share them on social media with the hashtag #18 for hospice to help us raise more awareness about hospice care. Tagging us on social media will give you chances to win prizes from our sponsors.
All funds support Huron Shores Hospice in Tiverton Park Manor and support giving people the right to die with dignity, in the community in which they live, surrounded by those who love them!
100% of the funds raised stay in our community!
The Goal this year is to help fundraise some of the revenue lost from this year’s hike cancellation and raise $10,000 for quality end-of-life care at Huron Shores Hospice.