Aunt Annie’s – a little house filled with history

Everyone in Southampton (Saugeen Shores) has at one time passed by the little white house on Front Street, near the Southampton Harbour, known as … Aunt Annie’s.


Aunt Annie, born Angelique Longe on the banks of the Saugeen River in 1844, was a Métis woman.

The Saugeen Métis have lived at the mouth of the Saugeen River since the early 1800s where they were fur traders, mariners, fishermen and guides.  Today, descendants continue to live in the area and the Historic Saugeen Métis (HSM) have been recognized as a distinct peoples.

Aunt Annie was a clever woman who spoke four languages, English, French, Anishinaabemowin and Gaelic and her home became a centre for the community where people could come and speak in their own language.

She was also a medicine woman cultivating native plants for their medicinal properties in traditional medicines and, although she never married, Aunt Annie loved children and was a midwife who delivered many Métis babies.

Aunt Annie’s home is one of the oldest in Southampton and has remained in the Longe family for over 160 years.

It was only recently that it was opened up to the public during the Saugeen Métis Rendezvous held in nearby Pioneer Park and in honour of the 200th Métis anniversary being celebrated this year (2018).

Jenna Maguire, a direct descendant of Aunt Annie, took visitors through the home, telling the story of Aunt Annie and explaining the construction of the house.

                                 Jenna Maguire (C) tells the story of Aunt Annie to visitors


Marie Johnston (L) asked several questions about Aunt Annie


           One of the two tiny bedrooms