Saugeen Track and Field Club (STFC) sent 11 athletes to the Canadian Track and Field Championships being hosted at Complexe Sportif Claude-Robillard in Montreal from July 25th to 28th.
The Canadian Championships also serve as the trials for the 2019 IAAF World Championships and 2019 World Para Athletics Championships. The top Olympic, Paralympic and U20 athletes in Canada will be competing.
The STFC athletes competing are:
Under 20 Athletes
- Heather Abadie – Pole Vault
- Ryan Caughy -100
- Jeremy Elliott – Discus, Hammer
- Naomi Herman – 3000m
- Aiden Hinsperger -100, 200
- Billie Martin – Discus, Hammer
- Harley Martin – Discus, Javelin
- Hanna Van Stuyvenberg- Discus, Hammer
- Emily Branderhorst – High Jum
- Rick Carr – T11 100, F11 High Jump, Long Jump
- Josh Farrell – F20 Shot Put
Josh Farrell, of the Saugeen Track and Field Club, won a silver medal in the Para Ambulatory Shot Put last night in Montreal with a personal best of 14.22m that also set a new Canadian record for the F20 category.
STFC is also pleased to announce that six of their athletes have been selected to Team Ontario of the Royal Canadian Legion. Only 40 athletes from four age classes and across 64 events were able to be selected to Team O . This is the most athletes that STFC has ever placed on the team.
The selected athletes and their events are: Girls 15 and under – Harley Martin – Shot Put, Javelin; Michelle Van Stuyvenberg – Hammer; Boys 15 and under – Ben Brewer – Shot Put, Discus; Girls 17 and under – Billie Martin – Hammer, Shot Put; Boys 17 and under – Ryan Jacklin – Hammer, Discus; Jeremy Elliott – Hammer, Discus, Shot Put.
The Canadian Youth Championships will be held in Sydney, Nova Scotia from August 9th to 11th and Team Ontario will be flying out a few days prior to competition for training and preparation. Each provincial team is totally funded by the Royal Canadian Legion and will compete against Legion and Club athletes from all across Canada.
STFC HAMMER THROWERS MEDAL AT AO JUNIORS
- Jeremy Elliott, an U18 athlete, won Gold in Junior Men’s 6k Hammer with a personal best performance of 55.02m.
- Billie Martin, also an U18 athlete, won Silver in Junior Women’s 4k Hammer with a personal best throw of 47.07m, a new STFC Club record.
- Hanna Van Stuyvenberg finished sixth with a personal best b of 42.29m and younger sister Michelle, an U15 athlete, threw 36.64m.